If you are looking for a dairy-free and a nutritious beverage that is easy to make then water kefir is your way to go.
If you are planning to use dehydrated grains you need to activate the kefir grains before making the water kefir.
Supplies to Make Water Kefir:
- A glass jar
- A wood or plastic utensil for stirring
- A breathable jar cover like a paper towel, butter muslin, or a coffee filter
- A hair elastic or a rubber band for securing the cover on to the jar
- Water Kefir Grains
- Flouride and chlorine- free water
- Put 1/4 cup of sugar in the jar.
- Add about 3-4 cups of water that is at room temperature to the mixture.
- Stir the mixture in order to dissolve the sugar particles thoroughly.
- Put the grains in the mixture.
- Cover up the jar with a breathable jar cover like a paper towel, butter muslin, or a coffee filter and place it in a warm place.
- Use a mesh to separate the grains from the finished product.
- Place the grains in the new batch of the sugar and water mixture.
Must follow Tips:
- If you decide to remove the grains with your hand, make sure that your hands and fingers are clean and free of germs.
- Never use a reactive metal to strain the mixture.
- A double mesh strainer made up of plastic is the best option.